Because of their size and comparative lack of protective features, motorcycles are more dangerous than cars, trucks and SUVs. In fact, you are about seven times more likely to die in a traffic accident on your bike than you are in your everyday vehicle.
Fortunately, because of new electronic safety equipment, motorcycles and riders are becoming safer. This equipment includes both safety upgrades on motorcycles and enhancements to personal protective gear.
Modern motorcycle safety features
If you ride a vintage bike, your motorcycle may offer little protection during a collision. Many modern bikes, though, have safety features to keep you from either dying or sustaining a serious injury in an accident. These include the following:
- Stability control to prevent slides
- Automatic clutch and brakes to improve stability and control
- Airbags between the handlebars for head-on collision protection
- Anti-lock brakes to keep the bike’s brakes from locking up
- Adaptive headlights to better illuminate the roadway
Modern helmet safety features
Wearing a safety-rated helmet every time you ride is an effective way to minimize your chances of sustaining head and neck trauma in an accident. Modern helmets often have safety features that provide additional protection. These include the following:
- Augmented virtual reality to increase visual field
- Anti-fog technology to prevent mask fogging
- Built-in GPS to help with trip navigation
- Rear-view cameras to eliminate blind spots
Even with a high-quality helmet and a modern motorcycle, you can never eliminate your accident risk. Consequently, every time you climb behind the handlebars of your bike, you must be certain you ride defensively and responsibly.