When it comes to receiving medical care, everyone has their own idea of what's most important. Above all else, you should be completely comfortable with every member of your medical team. This will put your mind at ease, allowing you to focus on your health and well-being.
Although there's a lot to think about when choosing a doctor, a reputation for excellence is more important than anything else. With a well-respected doctor on your side, it's much easier to trust them with your health.
Since you have so many choices in regard to the doctors you see, here are some questions to help you narrow your list:
- Where is the doctor located?
- What hospitals is the doctor affiliated with?
- Does the doctor accept your medical insurance?
- How long do you have to wait before you can get an appointment?
- Is the office staff knowledgeable and friendly?
- Who do you see in the event of an emergency, and your doctor is unavailable?
- What do other patients think about the doctor? (online reviews can help answer this question)
There are times when you have no choice but to find a doctor in a hurry. There are also times when you can look around for several days before making a final decision.
While you try your best to receive care from the best doctors, there's no guarantee nothing will ever go wrong. For example, you could be the victim of medical malpractice, such as a misdiagnosis, at some point. If this happens, speak to your doctor about what went wrong, get a second opinion and learn more about your legal rights.