Depending on your job, there’s a possibility of dealing with the aftermath of a crushed finger at some point in time.
This is every bit as serious as it sounds, as it can result in a broken bone or even an amputation in the most severe of cases.
With this in mind, you need to understand the best treatment for a crushed finger. Here are some tips to consider:
- Seek immediate medical attention, as an experienced medical team can help you avoid long term issues with the injury
- Get enough rest, as you must give your finger time to heal
- Use ice to help with pain and swelling
- Elevate the injury above your heart
- Use over-the-counter pain medication to better deal with the pain and discomfort
- Clean open wounds and keep them covered
These aren’t the only things you can do to treat a crushed finger, but they are among the more important steps to take. If you neglect to do these things, you could find your injury worsening with time.
If you suffer this type of injury on the job, the best thing you can do is receive immediate medical attention. You’ll also want to let your employer know what went wrong, so they’re aware that the injury occurred at work.
Once you meet with your medical team, you can decide what to do next. If your doctor suggests that you take time away from work, don’t ignore this advice. Instead, get the rest you need to make a fast and full recovery. Along with this, consider if you’ll qualify for workers’ compensation benefits.
Source: Healthline, “Treatment and Recovery for a Smashed Finger,” accessed Feb. 21, 2018