With the holiday season closing in, there’s a good chance you’ll find yourself on the road at some point. Like many, you may even have a long trip staring you in the face.
While there is nothing more enjoyable than visiting family and friends during the holidays, here’s something you should always remember: Every minute you spend on the road is a minute during which you have to be paying close attention to your surroundings.
Here are some top safety tips for a long holiday road trip:
- Prepare your vehicle for the trip, such as by inflating your tires to the proper level
- Set your navigation system before you hit the road, as this will eliminate this potential distraction
- Be ready for anything in regards to the weather
- Move your cellphone out of reach
- Take regular breaks on long trips
- Never drink and drive
- Watch for other drivers who may not be paying attention to the road
- Obey the speed limit at all times
These are the types of things you can do to maintain your safety during a long holiday road trip.
As important as it is to take these steps, remember this: Other drivers won’t always take as much caution as you.
You shouldn’t let the potential for an accident scare you away from traveling during the holidays. If you find yourself part of a crash, move your vehicle to safety and call 911. Once you receive treatment, learn more about who was responsible. This may lead you to better understand your legal rights for seeking compensation.
Source: Autotrader, “Long Holiday Driving Tips,” accessed Nov. 03, 2017